The problem of hunger in the Outaouais is real. Every day, thousands of men, women and children do not have enough to eat. Moisson Outaouais wants to change things and make an impact in the community.
Hunger in the Outaouais region in numbers :
- 46% of new food aid applicants in Quebec are seriously food insecure. (Parcours study, unveiled by Les Banques alimentaires du Québec).
- 16,008 people used food aid services (convenience stores, meals, snacks) in the Outaouais region for the month of March 2021. This is an
increase of 36.6% compared to 2019, since the beginning of the pandemic.
- Of all these requests, children make up 30.6% of the people who benefit from food baskets; that is, nearly 4,900 children.
- Single people make up 42.9% of households receiving food assistance.
- 51,344 meals and snacks were served by Moisson Outaouais’s 49 affiliated organizations, an increase of 14.6% since 2019.
- 10,874 emergency food items were distributed by our 49 affiliated organizations.
- Moisson Outaouais has gone from 42 to 49 affiliated organizations since the beginning of the pandemic.
- 1,354,296 kg of food was collected and redistributed to community organizations for the year 2021, which is 533,791 kg (39%) more than in 2018-2019.
- Moisson Outaouais recovers unsold food from 28 grocery stores in the region for a total of 443,767 kg last year, with meat representing 28% of this total.
- 42,488 ready-to-eat meals were distributed through our food processing kitchen.
HungerCount was first conducted in 1989 and is the only national survey of emergency food programs in Canada. The data provided by the survey is invaluable and serves as the basis for many of Moisson Outaouais’ activities throughout the year. HungerCount provides timely and accurate information to government, donors and the media and represents the major concerns of members in a variety of public forums.
HungerCount 2020 could not be elaborated because of COVID-19. Moisson Outaouais’ findings are available in the Annual Report 2019-2020.
Other relevant documents